Welcome to my blog about my time at the Nelson - Curnyn Free Eye Clinic. My name is Mary and I travel across the world with my husbands job. While we are back in between assignments, I work as an ophthalmic technician for Suburban Associates in Ophthalmology. In January 2011, I had the privilege of meeting up with Dr. Gregory Nelson at the clinic just outside of Hyderabad, India. Along with other doctors, we spent three days helping the less fortunate gain better sight. Not only did I learn a lot about cataract surgery, I also learned how caring and compassionate the local people are and how truly thankful they were for being given a new outlook on life. With clearer vision, they are able to work and provide for their families. Meeting all the wonderful people who run the clinic daily and being able to help out was one of the most rewarding experiences. This blog dictates my three days at the clinic. (start reading at the bottom - I don't know how to reorder the posts, sorry)

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Nelson - Curnyn Free Eye Clinic

Tuesday morning, we made the two hour drive to Jangaon, a tiny village outside of Hyderabad.  I had no idea what to expect so I was pleasantly surprised when we pulled up to Arogyamatha Udumala Hospital. <-- I can't pronounce it either, I copied and pasted from the website!   Many people were waiting outside for Dr. Greg Nelson and Dr. Deepak Edward (an ophthalmologist in Akron, OH who also supports the clinic).  I would say they were also patiently awaiting my arrival...but I'm no doctor!  As soon as we stepped foot outside the car, people started clapping and taking our bags.  I felt like I was traveling with a celebrity!  I was quickly introduced and we were all ushered into the clinic.  A large banner hung on the wall in front of rows of patients waiting to greet the doctors.  See... they are celebrities!

A Hearty Welcome!
Dr. Nelson did not prepare me for this which I sarcastically thanked him for later.  I was clueless as to what was going on.  They always do something the day he arrives to celebrate and thank him for all his hard work to support the clinic.  This time, they draped fresh flower arrangements around our neck and put shawls across our shoulders.  The entire time, I'm thinking that I should be standing in the back because I had done nothing for this clinic yet and didn't deserve to be up there.  Instead, they welcomed me with open arms.  A few patients spoke and Sr. Innamma translated for us.  They were all so thankful for the clinic and the ability to have surgery.  Most of them said that if they can see better, they can work and provide for their families.


After a home cooked lunch, I walked around to see the clinic and then helped measure some patients for surgery.  See... I did get put to work!  I was happy to help :)  We had an oraganized line going...  Dr. Nelson would look at the patient with the slit lamp, Dr. Edward would measure K's and then I did the Ascans.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, all of these need to be done prior to surgery and I was glad to put my technician skills to work.  (I'm beginning to think that I'm losing them since I haven't worked since...oh... April...May?)  The entire time we were being photographed or filmed - see, he's a celebrity - so I knew it was okay to go picture crazy (I also asked Dr. Nelson just to make sure).  The patients loved being photographed and even the Sisters who worked there would come up to me and ask me to take certain pictures.  I told them to tell the patients that by taking their picture, it will help raise money for the clinic because the website will soon have updated pictures on it.


The testing room - Dr. Nelson examining a patient with the slit lamp.
That evening, after testing a few patients, Dr. Nelson and I observed one of the doctors in the operating room to see how the everything was running. Well, he was doing that - I was just along for observing.  I watched a few cases, then headed out to take some more pictures and get a tour.  By then, it was probably 6 or 7pm and the doctor had just started surgery.  I think he finished around 9 or 10pm - so late!  

For a virtual tour around the clinic:
 
A prepping room - also where I slept.  That bed is as hard as it looks.  Along with the pillow.  Trust me.
The room where they prepped the patients just before taking them into surgery.
Cataract OR
General surgery OR
Arogyamatha Udumala Hospital and Nelson-Curnyn Eye Clinic
Patients waiting to see Dr. Nelson and Dr. Edward
Plaque hanging up outside the clinic. 
The main entrance
Another plaque at the entrance
A view of part of the building
The other side of the building - all lined up waiting for testing and surgery
Dr. Nelson going through donations with Sr. Innamma
Sr Innamma outside the Chapel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment